18 things I love most about you...and a little advice as you transition into adulthood.
1. You were the first to open my heart, mind and soul to a love that I never knew existed or that I knew I was capable of giving. Thank you for teaching me so many life lessons and giving me unconditional love even when I didn't deserve it.
2. Your manners...they are the best. My heart beams when I hear you say yes sir or yes maam without being prompted. *Being an "adult" is not a time to forget them...people will always remember good manners and think you have great parents. ; )
3. Gratitude. When you were little and we would do special things you would be so excited and always say, "thank you, this is the best day ever". I would often ask you when you were little what your best day ever was and it was always the day I bribed you to take a nap with chocolate chip cookies...when you woke up a plate of homemade cookies were laying beside you waiting. That day taught me that it's the simple moments that often make the biggest impact. *Always express gratitude to those you love.
4. I love your soulful eyes, they are the eyes of an old soul and tell your story. *Always remember to look into the eyes when someone is speaking to you, they deserve your attention even if your mind is somewhere else.
5. The way you tell me you love me and give me a hug before leaving the house.
*Never stop doing this...with me or your future family...it is the simplest way to let someone know how much you love them and to brighten their morning.
6. When you come through the front door and run down the steps yelling, "mom". I am going to miss that so much when you go to college... *Always greet the person who is waiting for you to get home with enthusiasm and love.
7. I love the way you play with your little brothers and how your relationship with your sister has changed from little sister to friend and confidant. You are their hero, playmate and friend. *Always make time for them and never stop growing your relationship. They love you and are so proud to call you their big brother. They will be the only family you have one day...love them well.
8. Your big heart. *Trust your heart, keep it open...your mind will argue with itself but the heart feels what the mind can't.
9. Your desire to make everyone happy. You always know how to make me smile and I love you so much for making my days brighter. *You are so much like me and unfortunately it is impossible to make everyone happy...learn this now but never stop trying.
10. Intellectuality. I love your brilliant mind. *Always use this to your advantage but never use it to take advantage.
11. I love how you love music and love to sing. I can still sing every single Barney song word for word. *Music helps heal the soul and will be a gateway to many memories. Never stop singing or dancing, it's good for the soul.
12. Your hugs. They have saved me more than once. *Never underestimate the power of a hug no matter how old you are.
13. Respect. You have always been so respectful and this one is a big deal for me. Thank you. *Never lose your sense of respect for others and most importantly yourself.
13. Your beautiful gapped tooth smile. This smile has been stealing hearts for eighteen years. *Never underestimate the power of how a smile can make someone feel.
14. Sensitivity. One of my favorite things about you is your sensitive side. I love how you tear up when you watch Toy Story 3. *Never be afraid to show emotion, it is unhealthy to keep it bottled up.
15. The way you love traditions. *Like your mama you love traditions and this is what makes memories and life so special. I hope you always think of me when you intertwine old traditions with new ones.
16. Forgiveness. This is a hard one and one you know well. I am proud of your forgiving heart. *Forgiveness is for your own healing, be quick to forgive it's good for your well being.
17. Sense of humor. If people have never seen this side of you they are missing out...you are witty and quick to the punch and often leave me without a come back, which is difficult. *Never stop making people laugh.
18. Goodnight...I love you telling me goodnight and that you love me. *This will be the most difficult when I have to text you goodnight but no matter the miles between us I hope you always know how very much you are loved, how very much you are missed, how proud we are of you and that you will always be able to come home no matter how old you are.
Happy 18th. Today I am letting go of your hand but I will always keep a tight grip on our love and memories. Your future is waiting...be amazing. And as always...be kind, be a good friend, make good decisions and use good manners.
I love you always...Mom.